I recently talked on a local radio station about happiness, so I thought I’d tell you.
The sun is shining and a recent survey by BUPA, part of its ‘Feel Great Britain’ campaign, showed that feeling the sun on your skin is one of the top 50 things that make people feel great. It’s the small stuff that counts, you see. The top 50 list also included rainbows, having a nice cup of tea or popping bubble wrap, all of which I love .
The sad fact is though that many people only have a feel great moment once a month.
Some time ago there was a TV programme about ‘Making Slough Happy ,’ out of which came a Happiness Manifesto and I often use it with hypnotherapy, coaching, and stress management clients to help them achieve more happiness in their lives. It’s quite simple really:
· Get physical ; take 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week
· Count your blessings at the end of each day
· Take time to talk to a loved one
· Plant something and nuture it
· Cut your TV viewing right down, especially soaps
· Smile or say hello to a stranger at least once a day
· Phone a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to for a while
· Have a good laugh
· Give yourself a little treat every day
· Spread some kindness every day
Not too difficult to achieve, is it? And look up at the sky and tree tops, see the sun, the moon clouds or the stars, rather than looking at the pavement, where you’re more likely to see dirt, dog poo or someone’s discarded chewing gum. If that last sentence made you laugh, that’s great!